What Is Ortho-K ??
Orthokeratology, commonly known as Ortho-K, is a non-surgical procedure used to correct refractive errors such as shortsightedness/myopia using specially designed hard contact lenses. These lenses are custom-made for each person and are worn overnight, resulting in clear vision during the day without the need for glasses or contact lenses.
The process of Ortho-K involves reshaping the cornea, the clear front surface of the eye, to change its curvature. When the cornea is reshaped, light entering the eye is refracted (bent) to focus correctly on the retina, resulting in clearer vision. Unlike traditional contact lenses, Ortho-K lenses are worn only at night, and the changes made to the cornea last for up to one or two days.
Benefits of Ortho-K:
- Improved Vision: Ortho-K lenses provide clear vision without the use of glasses or contact lenses during the day. This is great for individuals who have an active lifestyle, participate in sports or outdoor activities. Imagine having a beach holiday or visiting a water park without the hassle of glasses or contact lenses. Getting up in the night with small children is no issue, navigating hotel rooms and jobs where glasses become damaged or mucky is no longer difficult. (??)
- Safe and Reversible: Unlike laser eye surgery, Ortho-K is entirely reversible and presents minimal risks of complications. It is an excellent option for those who are hesitant to undergo a surgical procedure.
- Cost-Effective: In the long run, at £75 per month Ortho-K can be less expensive than buying new glasses or contact lenses each year. Additionally, it eliminates the ongoing expense of glasses repairs, maintenance, and replacement lenses.
- Comfortable to Wear: Ortho-K lenses are made of breathable material, which allows oxygen to pass through the cornea, resulting in healthy eyes with no discomfort or irritation. No lenses in the day means no contact lens discomfort from too much screen time, inadequate blinking and dry eyes!
- Slows the Progression of Myopia in Children: Numerous studies have shown that Ortho-K lenses can slow down the progression of myopia in children. Myopia, also known as nearsightedness, is a condition where an individual can see objects clearly at close distances but difficulty seeing objects far away. Myopia is becoming a more prevalent problem, by 2050 half the world’s population will be myopic. For every diopter more myopic there is a 40% increased risk of myopic related eye health problems in the future such as retinal detachment and myopic maculopathy. At Park Vision we use BLOOM, the only FDA approved myopia management ortho-K treatment which has shown to be an effective management option in this condition. All our optometrists at Park Vision have been certified to use the Bloom ortho-K system.
Ortho-K is a safe, non-surgical method of correcting refractive errors that provides numerous benefits, including improved vision, slowing the progression of myopia in children, cost-effectiveness, and comfort. If you're tired of wearing glasses or contact lenses and want to explore a more permanent solution, Ortho-K may be an excellent option for you.
Contact the Park Vision team to find out if you could be the next Ortho-k wearer - you’d be surprised at how reasonable the change would be on our hassle free, all-inclusive, monthly care plan.
“Ortho-K lenses have given me the perfect vision I have always dreamt of. They are like magic, and I still can’t believe how well they actually work! I now wake up in the morning and I can see!!! This is such an amazing revelation having worn glasses and been very short sighted since the age of 7.
All I do is pop the lenses in to sleep in at night and wake up to brilliant vision all the next day.
The Ortho-K lenses quickly became part of my bedtime routine and right after I brush my teeth, I pop them in, sleep in them (I can’t even feel them when my eyes are closed), take them out in the morning and I can see perfectly. Its amazing!
It’s easy, safe and a game changer. I can see when I go swimming! I can’t wait to go sunglasses shopping because I can choose any pair! Water parks are no problem now! I used to be desperate to take my lenses out at the end of the working day because my eyes feel sore and tired, but now my eyes are free and happy all day long.
I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend them, they are totally brilliant, clever and like magic!”. Melissa